Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not a traditional Japanese wedding party

Since Bobby is British and Mai is Japanese, their wedding party on Saturday was a nice blend of the two cultures.

There was a nice mix of Japanese and ALT friends--as well as Bobby's family from England--in attendance. The elegant dinner consisted of both Western and Japanese foods, and was served with silverware and chopsticks. After the dinner, Mai and Bobby had their friends do musical performances, both in Japanese and English.

The happy couple. :) One of the things that I really like about Bobby is that he is always smiling.

At their party, I saw a cell phone printer for the first time, and I thought it was pretty much the coolest thing ever!! People could print pictures from their phones, write a message on it, and then post it to a bulletin board...

What a great idea!

I didn't take a whole lot of photos at the wedding because I was too busy eating, dancing and socializing, but I did manage to take a picture of my favorite foods that were served (imagine that, haha) during the seven-course meal...

Mmm, pumpkin soup! Before the soup, we were served carrot mousse, which was a first for me. It was...interesting. Not bad.

Love the little "kiddie pool" (as my friend Alana called it). The meat was so tender it fell apart at the slightest touch of my fork. :)

This fabulous fruity/chocolatey dessert was definitely a favorite course...but that kind of goes without saying. (Spell check is having a hissy fit about the word "chocolatey"--and the word "hissy," too--but I'm keeping them both in. So there, spell check!)

In a traditional Japanese (Shinto) wedding, the bride changes outfits several times. In a traditional Japanese wedding party, I'm guessing that the bride doesn't usually get on stage to play the steel drum!...

She rocked it!

If you want to read about what a traditional Japanese wedding is like, click here.

No comments: