Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

I went to a festival today, but there was no BBQ and no fireworks.

And it wasn't to celebrate independence. (I don't know exactly what the festival was for, actually.) I went with my friends Hideto and Lee to perform a few songs on stage. :)

Remember back in April when I posted about learning the song "Tegami?" Well, "Tegami" is one of the three songs that we played today. Kenji (my guitar teacher) took this video of it:



I've sung "Tegami" several times now--the last time was on my birthday when I played for my students at Misaki Jr. High. (My students couldn't believe I could sing in Japanese! haha)

In addition to "Tegami," today we played another Japanese song and "Yellow Submarine" since most Japanese people know songs by The Beatles. (The Carpenters, ABBA, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey and Avril Lavigne are some other performers that many people here can sing along to in English.)

One of my favorite teachers ever--who has made appearances on this blog before--was in the front row of the audience today with his wife and daughter. It was really great to see them!

He described his daughter as "a monster," but she is sooo cute!

I love this family...

I'm thinking of my family and friends today in America, as you celebrate! Notice that I wore red, white and blue in July 4th spirit. :)

"Tanoshin de!" ("Have fun!")

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Daaayna,
You are an awesome singer I want you to sing in my wedding one day, and maybe play the flute too! What are you singing for your goodbye party?