Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The beginning of the end

That's what it's felt like ever since I've been back from my short visit home.

With one month left in Kuji (as of today! yipes!), it pretty much is the beginning of the end. This is one busy busy month, let me tell you...

Lots of things to do, people to see and sayonara parties to go to. :)

So there's a lot to look forward to, but at the same time, I have a lot of goodbyes to say. And that's hard.

The goodbyes have already started: I had my last day at Taiyama Elementary on Monday, and it was way more emotional than expected.

As I was getting ready to leave the school, my favorite first grade student grabbed my leg screaming "Nooooo!" and wouldn't let go. Then as I was walking to my car, the entire school came to the windows to bid me farewell. "Goodbye Dana Sensei!!" It felt so final.

I sat in my car and cried before I could leave the parking lot.

Here are a few photos from Monday:

Love these girls!

This is the cutiepie who wouldn't let go of my leg. He's one of my top candidates for "kid I'm going to sneak home in my suitcase." ;) I had to take this picture of his paper plate craft to get a decent shot of his face since he won't sit still long enough for me to take his picture. I don't know how the teacher did it! (But his "A.D.D.-ness"--yep, that's a word now--is part of his charm, haha.)

Presents! The bookmarks on the left were handmade by one of the teachers. The two big heart books are full of thoughful messages from my 5th and 6th grade classes. Everyone at this school is sooo nice.

Today was my last day at Yamane Elementary, and once again everyone came out to wave me "sayonara." I was given several goodbye messages and a photo album of pictures from times at the school. Once again, it was sad. (Although I didn't cry this time.)

In the next few weeks, I have eight more schools to say goodbye to, so this really is just the beginning. :(

No comments: