Sunday, October 10, 2010

Learning the lingo

Did you know?: The official language of the Republic of Ireland is Irish even though most people don't use it.

Everyone speaks English. But. It can definitely be different from the English I'm used to! And of course, they speak with a different accent, too. (I've been told by a couple of people here that they like my accent. But I don't have an accent! haha.)

When I hung out with Jarlath in Japan, he taught me some "Irish English" expressions used in everyday conversation. For example:
  • What's the craic?/What about ye? = How's it going?
  • Take 'er handy = Take it easy.
  • All the best! = Goodbye--wishing you the best
In the last few weeks, I've learned a couple of new expressions, too. For example, Jarlath's niece, Millie, is often told, "Don't be bold!" meaning "Don't be naughty."

I've also noticed that a pacifier is called a dummy, the trunk of the car is the boot, and a stroller is called a pram. The word "wee" is used all the time! For example, "Would you like a wee cuppa tea?" And the phrase "so it is"/"so I did" is used a lot, too. For example, "I went to the supermaket, so I did."

Yesterday I went to the supermarket (so I did). :) It's called ASDA,* which is owned by Wal-Mart, and it seemed like the whole town of Strabane was there. Just like at home, it turned into an hour excursion, and we ran into all kinds of people! Unlike at home, I noticed a tiny popcorn section & Pop Tart section...but a whole aisle labeled "Teabreak," full of tea (go figure) and an assortment of biscuits (a.k.a. cookies) to eat with tea.

*Jarlath would like to add that ASDA is the craziest place ever. That's all.

A few days ago, I went to a session. (which was also a wee bit crazy.)(Did you notice my use of the word "wee" there?) ;) A session is an informal gathering of musicians who play traditional Irish music, usually at a pub. I had a video of one in my first blog post in Ireland. Here's a picture from Thursday night...

Today--for the first time ever--I went to a Gaelic football match. It began with people dressed in kilts marching in, followed by the teams. Then everyone faced the Irish flag to sing the national anthem.

Gaelic football seemed to me like a combination of football (a.k.a. soccer) and American football.

It's different from the regular version because they can score points by kicking the ball through posts above the goal. (like American football) Of course there are other differences, too, which you can click here to read about since I am not the gal to explain the rules of any sport!)

Unfortunately, the team we were rooting for lost by only one point, but it was still fun to watch. And the weather today was lovely. :)

Well, cheerio for now. All the best!

No comments: