Monday, November 24, 2008

What does a turkey in space say?

Hello, America! Looking so beautiful from space. *Internet photo*

I've had outer space on my mind. That's not to say that my mind has been in outer space!

It started a few weeks ago when my friend Kiley mentioned a wonderful sermon about the universe. (And I'm not talking about the grocery store this time!) Click here for the first part. If you could find about 45 minutes to watch this, I highly recommend it.


A couple of days ago, my friend Sara sent me this link that shows pictures from space. Like the sermon, the photographs put me in awe of God. He is truly awesome, and so is His creation!

I give God thanks and praise for many things. On this Thanksgiving Day, I thank Him for designing this amazing universe that we are just a teeny tiny part of. I give thanks for the fact that the Creator of the Universe is involved in my life! It blows me away thinking about it.

I've always been fascinated by outer space. When I was in second grade, I claimed that I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. (Too bad I get so motion sick! I guess my dreams need to be more down to Earth!)


Yesterday, I found the above picture in an Internet article about Thanksgiving in space. The caption read: "The Thanksgiving feast shuttle astronauts will eat in space Clockwise from upper left: green beans and mushrooms, candied yams, cranapple dessert, cornbread stuffing and smoked turkey."

Feast is not the word that comes to mind when I look at this picture. But at least the meal consists of traditional Thanksgiving foods! Here is a picture of what I had today for "Thanksgiving dinner"...

This is the first Thanksgiving that I've eaten rice, fish and miso soup! But I celebrated the holiday in other ways. I taught the students at Mugyo Jr. High about Thanksgiving traditions, and we decorated sugar cookies with fall sprinkles. (Thanks again, Mom!) It hasn't been a typical Thanksgiving and I miss being with my family, but it's been a good day.

Sooooo....what does a turkey in space say, you've been wondering....

"Hubble, hubble, hubble!"
:)

5 comments:

Dawn said...

The space photos are beautiful. I don't find the space shuttle meal to be a feast....LOL....more like someone on a diet. Feast in my mind is a plate overfilled with food. And the joke was funny...though Chris had just told me yesterday.

mom said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dana! Dad and I are thankful for our kids. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Daaayna,
That to makes amazes me to think about all that God has created and how lucky we are! I too am very very thankfully for our friendship!
I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Dana, I am Kiley's cousin. We too, love Japan. My husband lived in Tokyo for six months and we have visited several times. I enjoy reading your posts...

Hubble, hubble, (funny)
Elaine

EJFQZ said...

I happened to be with your Mom when she was retrieving the pie ingredients that didn't make it through the post office inspection. She already knew that the evaporated milk didn't make it through, but the pumpkin was a bit of a surprise. Sounds like you put the care package to good use. And, you can always have pumpkin pie for Christmas (we do).