Saturday, November 20, 2010

Visit to Versailles...and back to Paris!

I ended my last post by saying that I wanted to return to Paris sometime soon, and that's where I ended up going today. :)

And I spent yesterday in Versailles seeing the famous palace & its gardens. In the last two days, I've taken over 100 photos (!), so this post is going to be picture heavy. Ready?...

My first glimpse of the "Chateau de Versailles"

Inside the palace grounds, I met a couple of students from California (native English speakers, yay!) and spent a couple of hours talking & walking with them. The gardens are like a giant labyrinth; there are so many paths with hidden fountains to stumble upon, so it was fun to explore.

November is definitely not the most scenic time of year to visit the gardens, but there were still quite a few people walking around. It was pretty cold, but at least it wasn't raining!

Here are a few indoor shots (which I was kind of surprised were allowed)...

* * *

Today in Paris, where it was decently warm and sunny, :) I went to the famous sites that I missed when I was there on Tuesday. Such as:

  • Notre Dame: I loved the big, beautiful stained glass windows and seeing so many people from different countries.

  • The Louvre: I need another day in Paris to go inside the museum, but I enjoyed walking around the grounds & seeing the famous glass pyramid outside.

  • Montmartre: A hill that overlooks Paris & site of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart--lots of people!


This afternoon, I met up with a French student named Fred (who I met on the CouchSurfing Web site) and two of his friends. I had fun walking around Paris with these goofy guys...

The three stooges themselves, haha. We saw a few other characters today, too...

such as a man posed as a statue...

and a guy walking around with a bottle on his head. (!?)

Just like last time, I'll end with a few shots of the Eiffel Tower...this time I have night shots! (I love the tower even more at night.) :)


Well, it's getting late, and I'm tired. Bon soir!

No comments: