Wednesday, January 21, 2009

News that everyone knows

America has a new president.

I think the whole world knows it. At least, I know first-hand that Japan is well aware of what happened in Washington, D.C. yesterday.

It's all over the news.

I watch Japanese news on TV for three reasons:

1. I like to have background noise while I'm cleaning, cooking, getting ready for the day, etc.
2. It's interesting to see (and try to understand!) what they're talking about.
3. It's a good way to learn Japanese -- through osmosis. (Unfortunately, I don't think it's working. Learning Japanese requires a lot more effort than turning on a TV and barely listening to it. But #3 sounds good, anyway.)

I had the news on for 30 minutes this morning, and I couldn't help but notice that the focus the entire time was Obama and the inauguration.

Here's a little sample of today's Japanese news for you:
(I got a new camera for Christmas, so now I can take videos and upload them directly to my blog. Yay!)


I do understand a few words of this. (Other than "Obama," "Washington" and "America," which you probably caught, too, if you watched it.) I wish that I understood more, though. It would be fascinating to learn about this historical moment in American history through the perspective of Japanese media.

I'm not sure if my students watch the news, but they seem to know a lot about American politics. It's pretty impressive.

Yesterday at Okawame Jr. High School, I spoke about my winter vacation. I told them that I went to Washington, D.C. I added, "But I did not see Obama." Immediately, one of my students said, "YES, we can!!" That not only made me chuckle, but the rest of the class also laughed.

They definitely know who Obama is, and they understand what's going on in America.

I really need to study Japanese -- which is my New Year's Resolution -- so I can better understand what's going on and being said around me!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

The good thing for you is that I am willing to bet that Obama's speech is on youtube by today. It's interesting your students know so much about American politics. Have yet to watch the Japanese news you posted - will try to later.

Anonymous said...

Daaayna,
I agree you do need to learn Japanese because you will have to help me learn it when I am over there visiting!!!! I am counting on you girl!!!!
Love you!

Unknown said...

Very cool news clip! I was watching it when a few people were passing by me in the computer lab at school. They stopped to watch too. Obama's speech was my first inauguration to watch. Something I am going to try to be better at doing is reading your blog posts. :) I love you my love!

Amanda said...

The clip wouldn't load on the computer I'm on, so hopefully I can watch it sometime.

Isn't it crazy how in tune others are to what's going on in the U.S.?

I love you!