Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"We're soooarin', flyyyyin'..."

(Now singing High School Musical. Again.)

The song/title will make sense later on, when I write about one of the high adventure things (literally) that Liz, Oliver and I did in Chiang Mai. Stay tuned.

When we first got to the city, we decided that after all the traveling, we needed a massage. :) Massages are very popular--and cheap!--in Thailand, and we collected all kinds of spa brochures in the airport. We went all out and got one that was two and a half hours long(!!): thirty minutes foot massage, an hour of Thai massage (which is kinda like yoga, I thought), and then an hour of aromatherapy. I had the same lady the whole time (what a trooper!), and she ended the whole thing by braiding my hair up in a Thai style...

How appropriate that the back of my shirt said, "Just fine." :)

After we were completely relaxed, we did some sightseeing in Chiang Mai...


A look inside one of the temples we went to.


More statues. Lots of statues everywhere.

During our second day in Chiang Mai, we took an hour bus ride into the jungle, where we went went soarin' (and flyin') on a zipline!! Here are a few pictures and a video from the day-long zipline experience...


Oliver getting ready to use the wooden break, upon arriving to the platform.

Liz being lowered down to the next platform.

Our group...

Besides Oliver, Liz, and me, there were three people from England with us and four guides.

The first part is Oliver on the zipline, and then I attempted to take video while soaring....


In total, there were 22 platforms, so we did the zipline 22 times! The longest one was 300 meters. Overall, I had a really great time feeling like Tarzan.

Err...I mean Jane. :)

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Whooo...that ziplines makes me dizzy looking at it. Blame that on my fear of heights. I bet the massage did feel great.

Lauren said...

Daaayna,
I like the title of your post! Not only because it is my favorite movie but also because we sang that song together when I was there!
That zipline looks like tons of fun!!!
Can't wait to hear all about it!