Thursday, June 18, 2009

One birthday, six kinds of cake!!

If I had to describe my birthday yesterday in one word, it would have to be...*cake*roll, please :)...sweet!!

I was in the company of sweet people all day long, we had sweet times together, and I consumed approximately 23,232,323 pounds of sweet treats.

Ok, so I'm exaggerating just a tiny bit on that last part, but I'm not even kidding when I say my birthday included six different kinds of cake!! In fact, I'm all hopped up on sugar again today since I just ate birthday cake leftovers!! (Note all of the !!'s in this post...I really can't help it!) Oh, how you've just gotta love birthdays... :)

The lovely day of June 17th started out by the gals and I making pancakes (which totally counts as a kind of cake) in my takoyaki maker. We filled our little cake balls with blueberries, bananas...and a few other not-as-good-for-you things. Chocolate!

I had a nice chat with my friend, Ariel, and then it was off to Yamane Jr. High School, where we celebrated...

I just love the super outgoing fine arts teacher! By the way, for my birthday outfit, I wore (for the very first time) my new favorite skirt, which I bought in South Korea.

My students Yoko and Yuya spread whipped cream icing (my fave!) on two peach (another fave!) cakes. The finished product:

The gals and I ate the school lunch and the cake (using chopsticks!) with all of the teachers and students at Yamane, which was definitely special.

During the afternoon, I spent a couple of hours in the office. When I came back to the apartment, the gals had decorated it and set up a scavenger hunt for me! The clues led me around the apartment to a few different gifts, and then eventually to a blender!! Helllllooo, fruit smoothies! This blender is going to change my life in Japan, I just know it. :)

They also had this precious cake sitting on the table, along with some fresh pineapple, peaches and strawberries...

After a Mexican dinner with Tomoki and some of my ALT friends, we all had the white cake as well as a chocolate cake that Jemma made...

A cake covered in candles will make you feel old! haha. Proud to say that I blew them all out in one breath. :)

Jennifer and Lauren chowin' down on some b-day cake and ice cream!

Cakes #5 (cheesecake) and #6 (a variety box) came from my Japanese friends, Kenji and Hideto.

Overall, it was a wonderful birthday! Having my family with me is the only thing that could have made it better.

Thank you, everyone, for all of the birthday messages, cards, packages and love! I'm so grateful for all the sweetness in my life!

3 comments:

Jennifer and Lauren said...

Yay!!! I loved reading this...it was like I was at your b-day party...oh wait I was :)

Yes, I agree the cake was delicious!! We should have some more cake...what do you say?

Glad you liked your b-day!!

Dawn said...

The cakes look delicious - sounds like a great birthday.

Unknown said...

It seems like you had a wonderful birthday! There were so many different types of cake! I don't think that I know anyone else who has had six different cakes on their birthday. You are truly special.